PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - After the Rejected Takeoff
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2001, 05:39
Nice Wing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question After the Rejected Takeoff

After the RTO

I recently carried out a Rejected Takeoff in an A330 at a relatively low speed. I can tell you from first hand experience that it all happens very quickly once the spoilers go and the autobrakes are applied with maximum force. The airplane literally stands on it’s nose and my focus was on getting the aircraft stopped and then getting word to the Cabin Attendants and Passengers not to evacuate.

Reading the post below on Rejected Takeoffs highlighted to me the requirement to turn the aircraft into wind to ensure that any fire was not directed towards the aircraft fuselage. This is written in our flight manual which I have read and thought about many times, but is not a situation I have ever practiced in the simulator. I wonder if it had been an engine fire if I would have thought about this during the RTO. Obviously this is something that I will ask to do in my next simulator session to evaluate how easy this is to do with a large aircraft and how easy it is to control with the autobrakes bring the aircraft to a stop using maximum braking.

In my airline and from the reading here, in most airlines we beat to death the calculations and decisions involved with aborted takeoffs. When we practice aborts in the simulator, we inevitably end up either carrying out an emergency evacuation with something on fire, or resetting back to the button for another takeoff.

The reason I am writing is to ask others opinions on what they would do after the RTO, assuming the aircraft has been brought safely to a stop the ECAM (emergency procedures) carried out. Now you are now stopped on the runway with brakes temperatures starting to rise.

Up to what brake temperature will you consider taxiing off the runway?
Would this be higher if you are at a busy airport with a single runway?
Would you taxi off quickly after the abort to try and keep runway clear before the tires deflate?
Would you consider having fire crews soak the wheels as a preventative measure if they are present and it is obvious that the temps are going very high?
Will you be unnecessarily damaging the brakes by doing so?
When would you start the evacuation with fire crew on the scene and brake temps rising?
Would foam or water be better for cooling the brakes?
After a low speed abort would you consider a second try if the problem has cleared?
Are there any brake energy limits on the A330 for takeoff?
If your brakes temps were fine starting the takeoff, but you get a brakes hot message at V1-10 knots, would you stop or go? (this is a non-inhibited message on the A330, so would give a warning message even at V1)

I am not looking for quotable answers, just your thoughts and opinions.

For reference in this discussion here are the temps and implications of them for the A330. (degrees C and carbon brakes)

>300 – do not take off as hydraulic fluid may ignite in the wheel well when gear retracted.
>450 –may get smoke from the brake from any fluid contamination (not necc. a fire)
>550 -need brake cooling to prevent acidification of hydraulic fluid
>600 - may have a fire, seek outside aircraft confirmation (tower – other a/c…
>800 – fuse plugs go and the tires deflate
>900 – time for a new set of wheels, brakes and tires

Thanks for any input

[ 25 October 2001: Message edited by: Nice Wing ]