PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bose ProFlight headset user reviews
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2019, 14:43
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now got me a pair of individually crafted otoplastic earbuds and that has removed quite a bit of the fit and in-ear seat issues. Price was reasonable, €130 for the pair, and i got the cast from my ear for free around the corner at an audiometrist.

Of course every headset is a very personal choice. But i found some of the remarks of Mister Geezer somewhat interesting. Yes, there is very little padding, however, with just 140g of weight for the headset itself, there is not much needed in my view. Additionally, if it bothers me, i can use the headset around on my head without pulling the earbuds out, which actually is quite nice on those long 12 hour duty days.

Yes, the tap control sometimes do activate during landing and taking off, that seems to be an issue with the fit of the ear buds. The better they sit inside the ear canal, the less likely that is. It sounds like it amplifies, but it actually doesn't, it does limit max noise levels though, similar to a hearing protection designed for the shooting range. Whenever someone slams the door or very loudly puts the table back in, the "bang" is quietened especially in talk through mode.

Yup, stowing is certainly one of the more annoying things. It simply takes a few seconds longer as it has to be done somewhat careful vs. the bundle it up and throw it in approach of the A20. However, to me the case seems quite a bit more robust than the nylon carry case of the A20, it is after all a hard case protecting the headset, not a soft case that does not offer any protection at all. Granted, the ProFlight sorely needs that protection.

The cable design is somewhat an issue, i have to agree there. As the battery case / control module is so much heavier than the headset it is quite important how one installs it in the aircraft and routes the cable. I use one cable clip on my epaulette and hang the module with a piece of cable between the second clip and the module on the headset hook at the sidewall of the A320. That way the cable really does not bother me. But that does of course depend on aircraft design and personal seating preference, as well as size i guess.

Considering how much less sturdy the ProFlight is than the A320, i could understand that Bose limited the warranty. That said so far after nearly a year of use it has held up very well indeed. Did not even have to replace one of the padding yet. But of course, only the future will tell how well it holds up.

One thing i would like to know, there seems to be a micro usb port in the battery module behind the batteries, any idea if it can be used to update the firmware of that headset? According to the Bose App it does not support downloadable firmware updates, not via bluetooth at least.