PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2019, 13:56
changenow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone...

I might fit in well into this long-running thread, as I am 34 now, but want to become a pilot. I'm based in Germany/EU, so my questions are aimed at people who can judge what's going on in this part of the world...

Up until this month I was the manager and owner of a mid-sized company, which had no connection to aviation at all. Also I don't own a PPL so far. Now I have sold my company and will be able to do whatever I want, at least financially.

1) I guess I am too old for signing up for a cadet program from one of the airlines (like LH groups MPL program), or do you think there are chances of me still being accepted at this age?

2) But even if I am too old for the cadet programs with the airlines, I should be able to make the ATPL privately, and pay for it myself, too. Is there anything which could prevent me from doing so?

3) Are there any flight schools you could suggest me looking at in Germany, or over all the EU? (At least as English and German are sufficient as languages.)

4) If I should be succesful accquiring the ATPL, how will my future look like? I think there are many airlines right now taking you without a typerating? But also many who offer you a job where you have to pay for the type-rating right? Do these airlines take you with a privately funded ATPL and not much experience (except for the one from making the ATPL)?

Many questions, I know, but I hope you can answer some for me. I find that there are a lot of informations available for young people just out of school and how they can apply to the cadet-programs, but not much for older people like me, 15 years after school ended. I have already looked into the tests for physcis, maths and English and while they are challenging, they should be doable for me. I also finished a check with a flight doctor, who told me I would easily pass the class 1 medical. So for me I'm now interested in the practical stuff, where to start and what to avoid...

Thanks in advance for your answers,
ChangeNow