PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help, I would like to obtain a PPL licence
Old 11th Mar 2019, 21:22
BDM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thomas, if you have a passion for aviation, then you should definitely go for it! Some sound advice above already.

6 foot 3 is tall but not gigantic. You should fit most GA or LSA trainers. What was the local flying club operating besides 172's that you did not fit in?

At our field basic training is done in SportCruisers (LSA) and one of the instructors is at least your height. I am 6 ft 5 and have never had trouble in Cessnas, Pipers and the like.

If you're on a pretty tight budget, gliding might be a sound option to start. You'll spend a fraction of the cost of a PPL which will give you time to save up and you will learn the basic 'art' of flying the old fashioned way which will help to no end when you switch to the noisier kind of birds.

I don't know where you are based, but you are always welcome at Brasschaat (EBBT)! You can learn to fly on sportcruisers, ULM's or gliders (winch and tow), the surroundings are beautiful and the clubhouse has a selection of good beers on tap!
And because it is also the home of FAST Aero Engineering, there is usually some interesting warbird or vintage biplane around to add some colour to the GA scene.

Whatever you decide, good luck and enjoy it!

​​