PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shoreham Airshow Crash Trial
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2019, 11:35
jindabyne

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bob Viking (The Nip take note)

I’m sure the jury reached the correct verdict on the strength of the evidence prevented but I still cannot excuse the actions of Andy Hill.

From my perspective, I am a current and pretty experienced Hawk pilot (2500+ hours on type). If someone asked me to perform a low level aerobatics routine tomorrow I would say no way. I fly aerobatic type manoeuvres (along with weapons, BFM, low level etc) on a daily basis in my job and I would not want, or expect, to go and fly the kind of manoeuvres he flew on that fateful day. Added to that, the fit of the aircraft was unfamiliar (I have flown Hawks in pretty much every conceivable fit including the heavier configurations) so, by comparison, if someone said “hey, BV, go take that Hawk with drop tanks and fly a low level display in front of thousands of people” I wouldn’t dream of it.

For the life of me I can’t work out why so many people want to excuse his actions.

I don’t know how I think he should be punished, since it hasn’t affected me directly, but I don’t think he should get off Scott free and I don’t think you can lay the entirety of the blame with the CAA

I have 2000 hours on type. I concur with your opinion. As for the CAA, their rules allowing AH to perform that display are unbelievably lax: in my view it should be taken to task, and should bear some of the responsibility.

That said, the verdict has been delivered. The poor chap will live with the consequences of his actions for the rest of his life. More tragically, so will the relatives of the
bereaved.