PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 30 years old, single, no kids...go to Emirates?
Old 10th Mar 2019, 13:38
The Outlaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spamcam
I am cured of all forms of shiny jet syndrome, cured of the urge to fly long haul and cured from trying to make as much money as possible. These days I appreciate the smaller things in life again.
Like all other posters above said, don't underestimate Dubai and EK and what it will eventually do to you long term.... It is just not worth it!
Its a common theme. EK cured me of my love for flying in general, they are masters of taking the fun out of flying and made it as much fun as working on an assembly line! Thankfully I now have a fun job flying a small aircraft with a good bunch of guys, decent pay and lots of time off. All the guys (myself included) in my generation who have left EK to go home all say the same thing about the little things in life. Its hard to explain but you have to live in a place devoid of realism to see what you're missing. People can turn into complete a$$holes in short order in Dubai and I say that from personal experience, I not the same short tempered person I was when I was there.

All that said from this and the other posts, its a personal choice. You will give up a lot of the known and "yet to be known" things in life. You will get an experience and meet many good people, you'll meet a lot of d1cks too. The places you fly to will get old pretty quick and the majority of layovers are 24 hours or less which doesn't give you a lot of time to see the sights. I never messed with any of the girls because my wife said I wasn't allowed to, but what Shawdonclouds said is pretty close to the mark. They are too busy on their phones to chat, are millennials ,or are from some far far away place and don't talk to people not of their own race, color, religion etc....to each their own!

Good luck with your choice. Use what is on this forum as a loose framework to understand what is happening at EK then go there for an interview if you possibly can and then make up your mind using the biggest head.