PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loganair-2
Thread: Loganair-2
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2019, 12:49
Rob Royston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EGPO
Would Loganair take any of the larger Embraer EG E175/190 as o thought at one point ,Stobart and Eastern had some from Flybe.
Eastern Did have the E170 but not sure where they are now . Was probably a better bet than the ones Loganair plan to use at LSI.
The E170 that Eastern / Flybe flew ABZ LSI ABZ LSI EDI LSI GLA SYY GLA LSI ABZ LSI ABZ was mostly carrying very low numbers. It also could not land in LSI in adverse weather. This had all been forecast on this thread, or maybe the Eastern thread, before it started.
There is a limited amount of passengers available at LSI and SYY, like elsewhere people prefer to travel in their cars, or even by bus or train, even when it means a ferry journey. At one time it was common for people to fly from GLA to ABZ and INV. I remember flying in a Loganair Trislander from INV to EDI around 1974. Improvements in roads, vehicles and trains has wiped these routes out.
I flew in and out of LSI for 25 years as an oil industry passenger and I can't remember ever using a scheduled airline, it was always charters. That's what worked as the companies needed to avoid overloading Shetland with people that they could not accommodate if delays occurred. The aircraft needed to carry two chopper loads and a few seats for admin folk, chopper crews, etc.