PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Red Flag 2019: First Great Power Air War Test In Years
Old 9th Mar 2019, 21:38
BVRAAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flighthappens

the same way that the spitfire MkXIV wasn’t the same as the MkII, or the F-16 bk70 is significantly more capable than the original F-16A. If you are standing still in the fighter game you are moving backwards compared to everyone else.

Fact is the F-35 will be continuously developed until it is out of service...
Just like the Tornado GR4 was - I think it only stopped flying with 41 Sqn just over a year ago.

Looking back through old archives of various reports, it seems the Tornado was harshly criticised too. Fast forward to March 2019 and grown men have been seen with tears rolling down their faces as they see the RAF Tornado for their final time.
I was talking to Cab Townsend last week at Marham, and he said that in over three decades, the exact same fields will be full of the same number of people saying farewell to the F-35, and many of us who were there last week will be in our late 50's/early 60's.

Aircraft are criticised because it's cool and the same people end up crying like babies when they retire. What about the Jaguar? I'm pretty sure I could dig up archives on that where people moaned that it was "just a trainer," but how many say they miss it? Loads!