PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A question of sealed cockpits
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2001, 03:39
Agaricus bisporus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Er, helloooo!

Sadly - maybe thankfully, the world of aviation does not consist of behemoths like L1011s where there is room to build the front door of Fort Knox plus a toilet and a galley beyond it in front of the pax.

Reality is that 80% of the worlds public transport aircraft are short-madium haul 2 pilot types, 737, A320 and smaller. Unless you plan to lock the poor pilots into those closet sized flightdecks all day long, no drinks, no toilet, no incapacitation checks, how does the cc know who is really up there anyway, do we do the tech log and loadsheet via e-mail or something?... Oh do us a favour! What about the smaller commuter types with a curtain or soft concertina door (BAe146)

It is a daft idea and CANNOT be made workable.

Ditto armouring doors - there's no threat involving breaking them down, so why legislate against a non-existant threat in the pretence thet it covers the clearly extant one? That is simply dishonest.

The threat there IS; that of pilots leaving their seats for whatever reason - which they clearly have to do from time to time - and which necessarily involves unlocking that door is in no way addressed by ANY of the above, nor even acknowledged so far by any authority I have seen. Well why the hell not, it's just killed 5000 plus people! Or do they recognise that this is situation so extreme that it simply can not be legislated against? That there is simply no mechanical means to prevent it?

Talk of armouring doors, or locking the pilots in permanently - because ANY opening of that door renders the whole idea null and void, is simply irrational as it CANNOT work

A bit of moral honesty and study of cause and effect would not go amiss here, I'm sad to say I've so far seen neither from any authority, government or airline. It's about time we did.

[ 25 October 2001: Message edited by: Agaricus bisporus ]

[ 25 October 2001: Message edited by: Agaricus bisporus ]