PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slingsby Type 31/ Cadet TX Mk.3
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2019, 14:09
VerdunLuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can probably relate one of the more unusual tales involving a Mk3 at Halton.

Early October with visibility about 2 to 3 miles (so the ridge in sight, but not much beyond. I was to do a hangar flight in WT908 as the sun was setting and just before the launch I noticed that the top of the ridge had cleared and there seemed to be clearer air moving down the ridge, like a very slow waterfall. The launch went as normal (so about 600 ft) taking off towards the compass base with a slight crosswind from the right.

A right hand circuit completed I started the approach from the gunpit towards the compass base in a side slip (WT908 had no spoilers). At about a hundred feet with most of the airfield in front I stopped the side slip and after a few seconds was amazed to find the Mk3 wasn't going down; in fact it seemed to be going up! By the time I got to the end of the airfield I was back at 500 ft. A second circuit produced the same result, except I was ready for it and worked my way up to about 900ft (I had looked up and seen the two Sedberghs at about 1800).

For a while it was quite fun just tootling around over the airfield flying level. It must have been a Saturday with Fred in charge as the Boss might have got very upset. What had happened was that the clear air I had seen descending from the ridge was some sort of katabatic wind caused by the air at the top of the ridge cooling which had met the local wind going in the opposite direction over the airfield and the only way for them to go was up.

After a good few minutes fun it began to occur to me that it was getting dark and I seemed to have no reliable way to get 908 on the ground (no spoilers). In the end I sneaked around the end of the trees along the road (mostly cut down now) and landed towards the ridge; with the main skid on the ground not even the katabatic front could get the Mk3 airborne again.

I never, ever saw that katabatic front happen again.