PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2019, 12:22
Trevor Hannant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Topcat47
Hey, I was wondering if anyone that is going/has gone onto the Jerez course could enlighten me on what the timeline of length away, chances to return to the UK and general set up is like there?

I have my stage 3 interview approaching soon and whilst I understand you don't really pick where you're heading if successful, my very understanding wife (plus a very supportive family) and I will have a young child therefore a valid reason to remain in the UK if possible.
Saying that, we both see the financial benefits Jerez presents over the UK courses and that it is only for a limited time, plus the lack of distraction from being in another country could assist in keeping me on track with the intensive training.

At the moment it's all wishful thinking and planning for the sake of planning but any information you may have will be useful in aiding the tough decision making process should it arise!
Thank you in advance,
TC
We arrived out here mid-February and are leaving towards the end of July, so just under 5 and a half months here. We have a week back home in April with flights paid for by NATS. I'm not sure how that'll work for you being in Sydney though, unless you're currently in the UK? If you're in the UK, they'll get you back to either Gatwick, Manchester or Glasgow/Edinburgh but after that, you need to get your own way home from there. How long you get home for will depend on when you come out - we get a week, others who're here over Christmas get longer, it's a luck of the draw in that sense.

It is possible to have family come out to you while you're here - we've got people whose other halves are visiting for a weekend and, depending on the size of the room, they're happy to stick another bed in for a guest staying and issue (and very minimal cost) a meal card should they want to eat on site rather than out. While I'd suggest that heading back to the UK wouldn't be a great idea given flight times, there's no reason family can't come out to you.

The big reason for me coming here was financial - I'm saving a good amount being here (while other half remains in UK) which will help when it comes to finding somewhere to stay near CTC for the second half of the course. Unless you're within commutable distance, or can afford to run your home and a shared flat etc on the college salary, I'd give serious consideration to Jerez rather than dismissing it out of hand.

The secondary reason for me picking Jerez was it's an Area course - my next alternative was Global at Gloucester which would have been Aerodrome/Approach so that really firmed it up for me given my preference to have done Area (although I'd not have complained if I'd been put on the Global course with no other option).

Hope this helps!