PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TUI Airways
Thread: TUI Airways
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2019, 11:02
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by MerchantVenturer
TUI has had a couple of B737-800s based at BRS alongside the two B757s each summer for a few years now. The 737s have not been restricted to the shorter routes either. Last summer for instance they operated to the likes of Hurghada, Cyprus, Greek Islands and the Canaries. Summer 2019 will see four 737-800s with the B787-8 serving the airport for five days each week and six routes, three of which are short haul. Last summer it was there for four days with four routes, all long haul (well, one was Sal which might not be considered truly long haul).

In terms of the B737-800 or MAX 8 not being the most perfect replacement for the 757 at BRS, do you mean operationally or commercially given the loss of seats brought about by replacing 757s with 737-800s or 737 MAX 8s if and when the latter arrive at BRS in the future? If operationally, have there been problems with the TUI 737s operating out of BRS (Ryanair has a substantial presence too of course). I have no technical knowledge although I thought I read something about the 737-800 brakes on shorter runways.

This is a genuine question by someone still keen to learn.
Great Q - Well the answer I guess is both ops and commercial.
My best pal (Just recently retired) was a TUI skipper at BRS since the late 1990's, coming from the RAF, working first for AMM/FCA on the Airbus 320/321 fleet which he loved, and the CFM56 engined versions suited BRS ops very well - much better over the IAE engined versions.
He morphed onto BY/TOM/TUI and the Boeing fleet took precedence in the merged Company so he had to convert to 757/767 (old fashioned flying again which he came to love, after losing his all bells and whistles on the Airbus which he adored - he liked his gadgets)
But the 757 he said was superb.

He told me he knew some years ago the 757's would all go at BRS to be replaced by the 738 - He was not happy as he knew the performance and uplift of the 757 for all the routes at BRS could never match the 738.
He also knew that if he went on the new fleet that diversions to BHX or CWL would be become more frequent as the 738 could not land at BRS in the same weather conditions that the 757's can easily handle - as we saw in storm Callum how a 757 can still get into BRS...

A 757 can seat over 220 seats and can go anywhere, but the 737's hold just 189...
For a package tour operator that is a lot of missing yield and margins £££ to replace.
He told me that at a TUI meeting a couple of years ago it was revealed that Thomsons will profit around a £ or so on each person's holiday booking, if not just pennies...
The buy on board food concept, plus getting rid of all short.medium haul IFE has made TOM a lot of money.

Meals are still free on some medium (such as Cape Verde) and all long haul flights.

So, really cut to the bone.

My pal said to me t
he new 235 seat A321LR/NEO/Leap with ACF would have been a much better buy - not quite a 757 but getting there but the Group stays with Boeing.