PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another A380 Woe?
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2019, 20:37
CONSO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by tdracer
Let me second that - excellent book - I still have a copy laying around the house somewhere that I read maybe 30 years ago.

Am I the only one confused by the WTO reaction to all this? Boeing's big complaint all along was that "launch aid" meant that Airbus didn't bear the full risk of making bad decisions in aircraft development. WTO sort of agreed (although in a weasel worded way). Then the A380 implodes, Airbus says the launch add doesn't need to be paid back - pretty much proving that the Boeing complaint was valid, and the WTO reaction is - the program is dead, no further action required.
I know of a few who were not confused however. Goes back to prior to WTO- AKA GATT. And in 1999-2000-2001 without Boeing help - SPEEA was pushing for airbus to be ' taxed " via Countervailing Duties Petition on the subsidy issue . Pushed by a well known Boeing Engineer who was AT GATT and had very high level connections in wash DC and White House at the time. Matter of fact, a petition had been completed per the required form and information/data needed and was scheduled to be delivered in Wash DC the 2nd week in September 2001 - ... and the rest is history !

Countervailing Duty Petition Against Airbus Industries

Whereas, for the past year, the SPEEA Legislative and Public Affairs (L&PA) Committee has been conducting an intensive investigation into whether Airbus Industries is selling their commercial airplanes below fair market prices, due to the subsidies it receives from EU governments.
Whereas, SPEEA, acting on behalf of its members, does have legal standing to file a petition with the International Trade Administration (ITA) within the Department of Commerce and United States International Trade Commission (USITC) requesting relief under U.S. countervailing duty law.
Whereas, the L&PA Committee has gathered data from various sources, including: annual reports from Boeing and the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS) which includes Airbus; statistical surveys conducted by the European Aerospace Industry (EAI); Boeing and Airbus websites; numerous press accounts; and informal discussions with industry representatives.
Whereas, the L&PA Committee's evaluation has determined there is sufficient data to support our belief that Airbus is selling aircraft into the U.S. market at 10 to 25 percent below cost (not including special leases or other financial arrangements), with the resultant negative impact of lost jobs in the American commercial aerospace workforce.
Whereas, the L&PA Committee has completed a draft of the petition requesting relief under U.S. countervailing duty law.
Whereas, the L&PA Committee has completed a position paper which recommends filing the petition.

MOTION:
It is moved that: THE SPEEA COUNCIL RECOMMENDS THE EXECUTIVE BOARD FILE A PETITION WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO INITIATE A COUNTERVAILING DUTY INVESTIGATION AGAINST AIRBUS INDUSTRIES.

Note : The above motion was passed on Aug 9th, 2001 , <<<————
And yes I do have a complete file of the petition, data, and subsequent misinformation and unprincipled activities by various people . .

Last edited by CONSO; 8th Mar 2019 at 21:35. Reason: addedSPEEA motion