PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shoreham Airshow Crash Trial
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2019, 14:00
PiggyBack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
" I'd agree with the jury that the primary cause of the Shoreham tragedy did not lie with Andy Hill, regardless of his airmanship displayed on that particular day. "

That is NOT what the jury decided. They decided that it has not been proven beyond reasonable doubt that the the pilot had committed gross negligence manslaughter which is a very high bar to prove far beyond establishing that Andy Hill was the primary cause of the accident.

I am not a pilot but I am responsible for safety engineering and it should be hard to establish gross negligence manslaughter because real incidents are the result of multiple failures generally by multiple parties none of whom are acting with malice. A blame culture and a safety culture are probably not compatible and I would rather have a culture in which incidents and near incidents are openly and honestly evaluated than one where people are too scared to be honest. In the real world there are many degrees of responsibility and negligence but a court decision is binary. I am concerned that what Andy Hill has said of the accident is governed by a concern about his legal position rather than supporting an effort to understand and thereby avoid similar incidents in the future.