PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Westland Lynx (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2003, 04:18
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Complex type?

The permit to fly rules are pretty much infinitely elastic, the more complex the type the greater hoops get invented for you to jump through. Two types that have failed (although they're still trying) are the Lightning and Vulcan. There (I've just checked) a Canberra, a Sea-Vixen, a B29 and a Gloster Meteor currently UK civil registered on permits. Okay, they're all fixed-wing, but in terms of overall complexity I think you'd struggle to argue that a Lynx was more complex or presented greater public risk than a Sea-Vixen. (For that matter, I think for reasons best known to themselves, BAC had a VC-10 on a permit on one point, and I know I've flown an Islander with a permit).

So, I'd worry about how many hoops CAA will make you jump through for your private Lynx Mk.9 rather than whether they'll permit it at-all. And as for economics - you'd struggle I suspect to make a Lynx cost anything like as much to run as your private Canberra, as well as being a little more useful.

G

N.B. I thought that King George just handed you over into Canadian control, which is why you're using a version of the Canadian dollar, or did I miss some legal detail there?

N.B.B. Why on earth have we got a B29 and not a Wellington, there's something wrong there ! Mind you, at-least we've had the sense not to try and keep a WG30 flying under any circumstances.

Last edited by Genghis the Engineer; 25th Oct 2003 at 04:29.