PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 8th Mar 2019, 04:23
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
pilot error is the ultimate conclusion.
The AAIB report will look at the factors up the chain and not just at operator actions. I guess regulation will be cited as a factor - we can expect to see changes from the CAA in the way ad-hoc charters are performed and regulated. But even then, there will be people who put profit over safety and break the rules. In this case, a fare paying passenger who should have been protected by the rules died because the rules were disregarded. The CAA don't have enough resources for complete regulation and I suspect that the AAIB will recommend the CAA make improvements in the way such flights are controlled.

So far as blame is concerned let it be a judge sitting in his court decide. For those who are engaged in aviation at all levels, it must be the learning from failure that they must be concerned with.
Absolutely. The AAIB report will not apportion blame - something that many, particularly those who have lost as a result of an incident want to see 'justice done' have an issue understanding. There are going to be legal ramifications and it's probable the judge will not allow the AAIB report or any evidence collected by the AAIB to be used as admissible evidence in the legal case. This is what is occurring in the Shoreham case. The AAIB report will concern itself with the facts and make recommendations. I suspect the CAA will be expecting another 'reaming' as in the Shoreham report.

Sydney Dekker is one of the authorities on the subject.
Dekker is currently one of the best brains in safety. His ideas have heralded the introduction of new safety concepts - or 'Safety Two' as it's commonly called. A compilation of all his ideas is in 'The Field-guide to Understanding Human Error". It's a must read for all those working in safety or airline management. Or for anyone who manages complex systems for that matter