PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada B767 Runway Excursion @ YHZ
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2019, 21:28
CanadianAirbusPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was not there but apparently the latest runway report
had no mention of ice on the runway. As the were attempting to exit at very slow speed the aircraft started to slowly weather cock into wind and the aircraft came to a stop with a MLG up against a unplowed windrow which was on the runway. There was no excursion.

An airbus landed on 32 and apparently just shut down on the runway due to how icy the runway and taxiway was without any heads up from Nav Canada.

YHZ is a poorly run airport. Probably one of the two airports in the country with the most consistently poor weather coupled with a decent amount of jet traffic. Before my fleet was equipped with GPS we either had to fly the ILS 14/LOC5 and then circle for 32 any time the wind was out of the north. 14/32 does not have CL lights. But the terminal has been updated to be very modern. Its no surprise that issues keep popping up in YHZ. It routinely has very poor/slippery weather.

i think on this day the truck that applies chemicals was broken.. they had FZRA at some point and the water had a few dreeze thaw cycles and volia! You get a skating rink.

i hope NTSB takes a look and files a small report. Id be curious to see what happened.