PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The utter dishonesty of the Canberra system – MH370
Old 7th Mar 2019, 20:48
ampclamp

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
But, even if you pay enough to locate the impact site, and then pay to find and recover the FDR, that still may not show anything. Won’t it just show the transponder lost power? It still will not indicate if it was turned off, or an open circuit occurred (say due to an exploding O2 bottle). So, you still will not know...?
It will likely show loss of cabin pressure (if any and when), auto deployment of masks, it will likely show from which side control inputs were made along with dozens of other monitored sensors and inputs.Maybe even the cockpit door locking, if monitored.

The CVR area mic could well have recorded someones last moments, all the alarms chimes and assorted aural warnings as events unfolded over the last 2 hours.
My concern is that if it lies 20,000 ft or or more under water the integrity of the memory capsule could well be compromised especially after all this time. Supposedly guaranteed to -20,000 ft but 5 plus years under 8000psi in salt water is a severe test.

The wreckage may offer clues even if the recorders are useless. Cockpit door manual lock bolts in place, certain CB's found tripped, oxy bottle(s) condition ie are all the portables cylinder taps turned on etc. Clearly, it hit the water hard, so any of those possible clues maybe completely obscured by the impact.
Worth looking? I think so. Ocean Infinity have said they would like to return. They have great tech and it is improving all the time.

Certainly mental health is very likely an issue here. There have been several incidents related to mental health over the years. I dont know what is currently in place or what can be done though.