PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - reverse before touch down
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2019, 20:07
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by VinRouge
If I were in a similar scenario in a commercial equivalent (Lauda scenario) the T-Handle would be the best place to start I suspect. But that would require very rapid actions and realization of what is happening pretty quickly.
VinRouge,

Precisely. There was a case in KATL where an Eastern DC9 was dispatched with a thrust reverser inop which required MTC to perform some actions back near the engine to isolate the reverse mechanism from hydraulics (the details of that escape me at the moment). This had to have been in the late 1970s, early 1980s.

Well, the MTC action wasn't done correctly and the inop reverser came open at rotation on takeoff. The crew overcame the surprise and got the airplane into the air and back on the ground. It was a real feat of airmanship.

We tried it in the sim and found the only way to not lose control of the airplane was to snap the throttle to idle and shut off the fuel. It was still a handful even when we knew it was coming.

Those EAL guys really did a great job. I tried to find an article about it but couldn't.

i

Last edited by bafanguy; 7th Mar 2019 at 20:25.