PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Melbourne Air Traffic Control
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2019, 11:48
DukeBen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by George Glass
As I said on another post ATC will not use 09 if another runway is available due to the complexity of coordinating with Essendon and arrivals from the east. Why Essendon wags the tail of the dog is a mystery.
Similarly, ATC rules preclude any runway as duty runway with more than 5 knots tailwind dry and zero wet, regardless of aircraft performance capability.
Once 34 or 16 are designated as single runway ops. departures of 27 to the north and east conflict with departures off 27 to the north and east. Hence departures of 27 are prohibited, hence 45 minutes holding, hence 30 minute queues on 34/16.
You might, however, get lucky departing to the west off 27 if there is a gap in the sequence. Its lazy, its third world but thats aviation in Australia in 2019.
Maybe there is an ATC apologist out there who can better explain why this lunacy continues?
Airservices has previously approached airlines & CASA to suggest increasing the tailwind limit to 10 kts dry for runway nomination, but has been knocked back. Pressure from pilots through official channels might help to get this changed, although i won't hold my breath. Most ATCs I know would like this limit increased just as much as pilots would. If any aircraft couldn't accept 10 kts tailwind, they could simply require the other runway.

A new runway mode is due to be introduced in May 2019, Rwy 09 Arrivals and Rwy 16 Departures, there's more information on that in this link: http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/...ry-2019-v2.pdf

This new runway mode should at least increase efficiency on all those days, which previously would have been Rwy 16 only due to excessive tailwind on Rwy 27. Since most departures go from intersection Echo, which is South of Rwy 09, it should be a highly efficient mode, allowing the two runways to operate mainly independently.

During Rwy 16 only or 34 only operations, requests for Rwy 27 departures will always be considered, with more chance of approval if departing via CRENA, ESDIG, SUNTI CORRS during 34 ops and NEVIS, KEPPA, MNG, NONIX and DOSEL during 16 ops, due to being in less conflict with duty runway departures.

Requests for 09 departures during these modes are less likely to be approved, as aircraft need to cross the duty runway on taxi and take off roll rather than just take off roll for 27, all the SIDS on 09 are radar departures and the airspace does not work so well for this set up.