PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-4s & Hawks in the Air Defence role
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2019, 19:19
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cargosales
Am I dreaming or did such an idea exist in the 80s and 90s - to use a pair of Hawks + one F-4 as an air defence 'unit', making the most of the formers' manoeuverability with a couple of AIM-9s plus a cannon, coupled with the F-4's radar and better situational control, plus rather more missiles.

I vaguely seem to remember hearing this in a bar somewhere in Germany but cannot find any reference to it online. Too many Dortmunders on my part?

Rubbish or roughly correct?

CS
Not quite right. The aim was to get more missiles in the air with the Hawk's manageability a very minor factor. The theory was that the the F4 could detect the incoming raid and guide the Hawks to contact. Once the F4 went Tally the Hawks were on their own. If they could get in amongst the bandits then so much the better.

It was the MFF or mixed fighter force. Another mismatch was the ability of the F4 to AAR. It was really intended to counter a mass raid by Badger ASM carriers where the kill had to be around 180 miles out.