PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gnat vs. Hawk Flight Characteristics
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2019, 18:33
Fareastdriver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the 'Phantom Dive' demonstrated to me when I had a couple of gash rides in T7s at Oakington. I was told to slow it down to 170 knots with the airbrakes, stabilise it and then lower the undercarriage without retracting the airbrakes. I wasn't fast enough to catch the yaw roll and dive (asymmetric lowering of undercarriage) and I recovered about 2,000 ft. lower. After that I didn't want to know about the single engine performance.

There was nothing wrong with the Vampires control tower. The Throttle, HP and LP cocks were logical as was the airbrake lever. One was advised to look down at the co-located flap and undercarriage lever but one was fitted with a flat handle and the other with a wheel on the end.

One of the ones from Oakington was, maybe still is, open cockpit at Duxford. I trotted up the ladder and stepped in as normal and it didn't seem that small to me. It was 'pally' in the cockpit but those giants with long legs were sent off to the Meteor flight where they could use their legs to climb out.