PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air China 777 diverts to Anadyr,,,but...
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2019, 00:47
tonytales

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen this phenom before. An Eastern DC8-51into KJFK right MLG wouldn't lock down. On a low flypast I saw the gear sway inboard as the plane banked. Crash and rescue including NYC Fire marshaled and waiting. I was in the Fire Chief's car and we chased him down the runway as he landed. The RMLG walked inboard and he skidded on nbr 4 engine. As he stopped fuel was puddled under it and it caught fire. Three crash trucks arrived in seconds and the engine disappeared under a mountain of foam.
Meanwhile, the cabin crew popped the port side chutes and out they came. Of course they are pretty limp as they start and a very stiff crosswind blew all of them under the fuselage. All useless. F?A's up there stared down in horror. I ran up to the aft door and screamed up to abort the evacuation - I went forward and did the same at every door telling them there was no further danger of fire. The DC-8 was a tall aircraft for its day. If they had jumped there would have been serious consequences with broken bones for sure and maybe fatal. I don't think many people have ever stopped an evacuation of a large aircraft but I have. Of course it was a peculiar situation with crash crews/trucks/fire department too.
I have often thought of the situation and wondered what would have happened if it was a "NO-PRE-WARNING" situation and the number four engine fire had spread no one downstairs -on the ramp, no one to try to pull the chutes out properly - I can tell you it would have been hard - the chutes, once inflated are big - very stiff and with the wind we had that day been real beasts to pull out straight. True, with all the rescue folks we had that day I could have organized it but there was no point in putting the pax at risk of injury which often occurs in using the slides. I was the only person from the airline there at that moment - Iwas also an officer in a Volunteer Fire Company so I could evaluate the situation. Still, I keep on thinking of the real emergency situation and no one there to immediately help - fire and rescue 4 or five minutes away - not good. Never heard any comments on my action from Company or authorities