PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have We Forgotten Our Command Responsibilities?
Old 5th Mar 2019, 19:45
73qanda

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Reg 233

Responsibility of pilot in command before flight

(1) The pilot in command of an aircraft must not commence a flight if he or she has not received evidence, and taken such action as is necessary to ensure, that:

(d) the fuel supplies are sufficient for the particular flight;

Lately ( last few years) with the increased pressure from above to reduce fuel burns, I wonder if a ‘new normal’ is creeping in whereby we are comfortable ( as an industry) carrying less fuel than we used to. I hear stories from First Officers of Captains reluctant to carry more than OFP fuel even when a First Officer makes a reasonable argument for it. I have heard of more than one Airliner landing recently ( within 12 months) with precisely 30 minutes of fuel in tanks.
New Captains are increasingly more aware of the environmental impact of burning fuel due to being from a younger generation. That’s a good thing in my mind and a new generations way of looking at things is refreshing to me. That said, I wonder if a heightened awareness of environmental considerations, in combination with constant and not so subtle pressure to carry the minimum fuel legally required, and lower experience levels, may result in an increase in Mayday Fuel incidents.
Maybe it won’t, who knows? But either way a reminder of our legal responsibility ( which extends beyond accepting OFP fuel) is a good thing. Thanks Judd.

Always good to have a reminder of our duties. Thanks Judd.