PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you transfer communication ( Airbus)
Old 5th Mar 2019, 15:28
Escape Path

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Check Airman
I find the differences in opinion on either side of the pond quite interesting. For example, we've recently changed our departure and arrival briefing to a more succinct format, with the expectation that the other pilot has a firm grasp of the SOP. Thus, we really don't go over any of the stuff that's already in the SOP. For example, my arrival brief typically takes 20-30 seconds, and that's going at an unhurried pace. From what I've heard from friends in other parts of the world, that's criminally short, but yet we manage. Not saying that our way's the best way, but it does seem more efficient.
We have changed our briefing for a more “simplified” (for lack of a better word) one yet some insist on doing it the older (unnecessarily longer) one. It’s more focused this new format, yet it gives you room to include whatever you need. In fact, it’s YOUR briefing, you say what you think it’s relevant whether it is on the format or not!

My point is: Don’t have a call for transferring comms but need to transfer them? Well say something, anything, that is clear enough to the other person that they have comms. Our most common one is “you have comms”. However, there’s this and that occasion when I’ll need to pick up the atis or talk to the company; for this case I use “you have ATC” as I’m still on comms (with the company, for instance). This is a bit nit picky, but then again, we’ll say it in English or Spanish (local language), or say something as simple as “I’ll get the atis” and the other one implicitly knows they’re on comms, sometimes even getting a “my comms” as an instinctive reply.

Bottom line? In the absence of something standard, use any words you need for both of you to understand what you want/need. Don’t just think about what does the manual says about x or y, think about what YOU need to keep YOUR flight safe. Books don’t crash airplanes, people do.