PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage - myth or reality?
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2019, 11:14
MaverickPrime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m just an outsider looking in, but I see a perfect storm brewing in the USA that could potentially leave them short of pilots.

Take a look at Ryanair here in the EU. A cadet leaves flying school with 250hrs, joins Ryanair straight on to a 737. In their 2nd year they are earning equivalent $98k, 4 years they are a captain earning equivalent $168k, 8 years they are a TRE(check pilot) earning $191k. They can be based near home and have 12/13 days a month off excluding standby duties. They also dont have to pay for their healthcare or kids education and if they’ve any sense, they will pick a low tax EU country to base themselves in. Incidentally Ryanair has a perfect 30 year safety record.

Whilst salaries in the USA can be much higher than this, it takes a long long time to get them. IMVHO, there are no opportunities like Ryanair in the USA and I think that is detering a lot of people from aiming for the airlines in the USA. We moan and groan in the EU about getting a break in the industry, but to be honest I think things in europe are better for pilots than just about any other part of the world.