PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So you need a new fleet Leigh?
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2019, 04:14
Rated De

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the overwhelming needs from my perspective is more seats SYD-MEL-BNE. It is where most of the "Groups"- I hate that word- profit comes from. Even at 15 minute intervals during peak, most of the B738's on SYD-MEL-BNE are full during this period. Yes, I know business travellers like their frequency- but it is inefficient. It is why the B767 worked so well, every 1/2 hour, occasionally every 1/4 hour on Mondays and Fridays , 250 seats...etc. QF would be much better served with A321 or 797. The early VX series 738 are now 18 years old. Judging on the limited perspective of the number of MEL's, they are starting to get tired. Knowing this lot, they won't order new a/c..they'll just keep buying shares.
The original order for 788 related to a twin aisle and timely replacement for the 767.
Qantas would have had a twin aisle high capacity aircraft, product differentiation on their competitor and an aircraft that could operate rather like the 767 into those mid range sectors.

For reasons best know to the self anointed ,world's greatest airline management, they preferred to give them all to the low fare and low yield sibling.

With terminals, tarmac and airspace congested it is anything but efficient where it takes more fuel, more flight attendants, double the pilots, double the engines and double the airframes (give or take) to fly the same ASK, into an ever congested terminal environment.
Pilots will be soon coping with increased cross wind limits in Sydney (prior to a runway change) as the system rentiers seek to squeeze every drop of out the profusely sweating and overworked infrastructure.

The inefficiency of the airline is obvious to industry observers who are not members of the Chairman's lounge or otherwise on the speed dial for Olivia's upgrades.