PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 4th Mar 2019, 21:43
positiverate20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ShropshirePilot
The bottom line is this - the aircraft had, I assume, an autopilot. If that's the case this flight could have been handled safely by almost anyone who could operate the AP. Regardless of legalities, or of his qualifications which seem to be the subject of much conjecture. Many people seem to know someone who knew him (I do too) and who rated his skills. But he made TERRIBLE DECISIONS at many stages of the flight, and that can happen to any human being CPL/IR or not (albeit less likely I suppose). Terrible decisions in aviation cost lives. We've seen it before and we'll see it again.
The chap flying the display at Shoreham was a CPL/IR as far I am aware and a crash happened. So CPL is not necessarily the panacea some posters on here seem to think.
My own conclusion is that the aircraft should have been operating under an AOC and I reckon the authorities need to examine why it is so expensive to get one because the processes entailed in operating under an AOC do improve safety. Safety should be priced such that more people can access it!?

Entirely agree.
I think many here are stating different pieces of the same puzzle. This pilot tried to fly VFR over sea at night, most likely fully reliant on the A/P. I have little doubt A/P was fully operational up until the few minutes in question. To fly A/P takes an awful lot more knowledge and understanding than just flicking a switch and trusting it. My hypothesis, ignoring all the legal aspects for now:

- Pilot under pressure to fulfill his obligations with high valued famous passenger on board

- pilot lacked the skill and qualification to fulfill his obligations at that time and in those weather conditions

- pilot went ahead with flight based on his confidence in the A/P

- during flight A/P was disengaged. Possible reasons include:
• overspeed (AAIB state average air speed at 175, A/P on this model is set to automatic disengage at 185). Speed above 185 may have been brought on by the descent that he'd already requested from ATC.
or
• handflying around clouds without disengaging A/P, causing it to then try to counteract his inputs
or
• icing or other feedback errors from A/P sensors

- pilot was now in a situation where he was in IMC at night over the sea without A/P and became spatially disorientated.