PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LPV approach on B737 Max
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2019, 17:58
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by voerot
It's not only the A220 that is able to fly LPV. In AirBaltic the whole fleet of Q400's is also equipped (and a few of them have been equipped for a few years) and a lot of the pilots are trying to fly LPV approaches as often as possible.
Thanks for that information, so it looks like the Bombardier or ex-Bombardier products with their GA derived avionics might have it. The Dash seems to die out in Europe, but the A220 might have quite a future ahead of it.

The 737 and A320s i know are not LPV capable, the 737s can do GLS at no extra cost which my former employer tested to CAT IIIb operation buthasn't been certified for that yet. But it seems Boeing will provide an update soon for its FMC, no idea about Airbus, from Smythe's list it seems that at least Thales does only provide it for the new types (and the very old Beluga). That said, i slowly see some LPV minima cropping up on our charts, but that is on approaches that allow for VNAV/LNAV (baro) minima which we can use. I can see the appeal for smaller airports to allow easy "installation" of an IFR procedure for occasional use, but for airports with lots of movement as primary approach? Not so much. Especially since we usually need low vis capability in this climate anyway.