PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you transfer communication ( Airbus)
Old 4th Mar 2019, 13:34
Friendly Pelican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why ELP?

Ahhh okay,

Is it just me, or are there two competing priorities here?

I recognise the need for clear communication in situations in extremis. I can certainly relate to being in the depths of an EGPWS pullup (training), wondering 'What the hell are the correct words I'm I supposed to say now?' But 'Pull Up' I had, and it only took me a second or so to announce it to my oppo.

At the other end of the spectrum, the need for clear communication means that one should not strive for the 'words', but the meaning - that is, to look into someone's eyes. 'Bloggs: I need to go for a walk. Don't crash until I get back...' conveys exactly the same meaning as 'You have control and communication.' Hopefully, at the same time, I've also conveyed a message of trust and respect.

Looking for standard phraseology while one departs the cockpit for a walk, a wee or a wonder cheapens the currency of a standard phraseology in necessarium.

And if we're going to test people for English Language Proficiency, should we not insist that this proficiency is demanded outside the testing booth?