PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: REX Recruitment/Cadetship and Working for REX
Old 4th Mar 2019, 10:14
Seagull201

Originally Posted by Coskun Yay
Hi to everyone,

Let me introduce myself before start asking my questions.

I'm an Aussie living in Turkey (actually I'm here for 25 years, so I've lost my accent).
I graduated from university with a bachelor degree in Astronomy and Space Science so I don't think that I'll have any problems with maths and physics.
Happily married for 7 years and have a son 5 years old. I'm planning to bring them after I start working for REX.

Right now I'm in the selection process for Turkish Airlines. I've passed the first three stages (in 8 months) and two is left and its pretty damn hard. Let me tell you this way, if you get recruited by Turkish Airlines that means you have been chosen to be the best 500 in 140000 applicants (That number is only for 2018).

Now here comes my questions.
1) How long does the selection process take (From the application form filled to calling AAPA Campus our new home)? I know the steps between them but can't figure out roughly how long it would take.
2) How many cadets are planned to be recruited by REX for each intake?
3) It's says that "Working part-time is not allowed" so we have to fund ourselves for some time. I can't recall where but I read something about "Training Wage when starting Saab 340 training". Is that true?
4) Honestly asking how hard is the selection process (from 0 to 10)?
5) In the FAQ it says that "The duration of the Programme up to CPL with Multi-Engine Instrument Rating is based on 34 weeks." but on the forum I've read that some groups had been in training up to 61 weeks. Is that a general problem of the operational staff or was it for one time only?

I've got alot more to ask but I'd like to cut it short. Thanks for everyone who helped for the answers in advance.

Cheers
Coskun,

I have seen your post and noticed nobody has responded, I will tell you of what i think.

Since you are living 25 years out of the country, it will take you some time time, to adjust back, to the lifestyle in Australia.

For yourself to be considered for the Rex pilot cadet programme, you need to send your application, then wait until you get invited, for the selection stages.
As i understand, a person needs to pass the WOMBAT test (read previous posts), an insufficient result in this part, will exclude a person, to progress to the next stage.

**My question to you sir, "what are you going to do, if you don't get into the Rex cadet programme?"
(Why do i ask you this? Because there are people that have been living here/Australia, for 25 years/longer and people don't get into the Rex programme, it's very competitive).

You can try, you could be successful (I wish you well), but as i wrote before, "what are you going to do, if you don't get into Rex?"

**If you don't get into Rex, you are going to have to get a JOB and work, to support yourself and your family. (If you have other family here, that will be a big help for you).

Since you are an OZ citizen, you get can a government loan (HECS/VET) of up to $100K, to do these flying training courses (CPL), but you have to start paying back the loan, i think it's 5 per cent of your income, above earnings of 50K, until you eventually pay the loan off.
Flying training is expensive, 80K for a CPL, 30K for a twin engine Instrument Rating, 25K for a flight Instructor Rating.

Since you have a family, you have to WEIGH UP your options, if you can afford flying training, whilst supporting a family, paying rent and electricity/water/council/insurance/motor vehicle expenses.
If you bring money from overseas, that will really help you!

I've read your comments about getting into the major airlines,especially, in your part of the world, that's fantastic, that you're good at maths and physics, I think, it's IMPORTANT to actually have contacts/know persons, in the airline(s), that you want to get into, in the part of the world, WHERE you are, to have ANY chance, of success!

In countries that have high populations, knowing people/persons, in large companies, can be the difference, to getting a job, or being unsuccessful.

Where you are, the aviation history is quite rich and it's very active, there are quite a few airlines there, i'm surprised you didn't do training to get the local flying license's and tried to get into some of the other airlines there. (I suppose flying training is quite expensive there, as here in OZ).

Wish you all the very best.