PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethics in Union Representation
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2019, 08:32
ALAEA Fed Sec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting thread guys and I have watched all this unfold from the inside....both your former President's path and former Federal Secretaries of my union who have done the dog on us and crossed directly over.

I say that only 2% of workers want to be union Reps/delegates be it for Pilots, LAMEs or any other profession, most people just want to work without worrying about the hassles. Of those who want to get involved in their union, only half are doing it for the correct reason with the other half in it for themselves. I think I can pick a good Rep early on, even when I was a young LAME I knew my leaders were trying to sell lemons on behalf of the company. You know this because they are always encouraging yes votes at EA time.

The ALAEA has since 2006 when I was elected to my role had a fixed position on all EBA votes. We never recommend one way or another. The offer itself is what is being considered and it should sell itself. This way you will also get better deals. You should not have been sold your last EA offer by AIPA. Members do listen to advice from the likes of NS on which way to go with a proposal and he should never have intervened.

Nobody should rise to union leadership with a view to seeking internal promotion within that company. I consider it a low act that undermines the trust people put into their representatives. My predecessor jumped ship as did most of them and it gave our Association a bad name. They all took inside knowledge to the other side and airlines will pay big money to get that info. You need to be very careful who your comm elects to the role of AIPA President and although I haven't met the new boss yet, I hope he is better than NS and as good as Woodsy and Barry.

cheers
Steve Purvinas