PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LPV approach on B737 Max
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2019, 05:52
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smythe
GBAS is a no cost option on most Boeing and Airbus ac. Most airlines are hesitant given the myriad of systems, lack of standards and procedures, and of course, things like the MLS debaucle.
I know it is on boeings, i flew for the first airline that was CAT I GBAS approved in europe on their 737s back then. However, on the airbus fleet they never installed it, as firstly it was only available as an aftermarket mod and secondly the cost associated was 250k $ per aircraft. Now, airbus might have changed their pricing policy in the meantime, but that was still true up to the CEO sharklet models. On newer airbus types like the A380, A350 and the A330NEO GBAs was indeed a no cost option. The same might be true with the A320NEO, i have no idea about that.

However, GBAS is not LPV, and at least in europe LPV does not seem to be play a major role yet, it might at some point, but currently it does not seem to be make a good business case to invest in that. And even GBAS, although it is now available at some major airports like FRA and ZRH, is not really something airlines like to invest in apparently. It lacks the clear cut business case.