PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expat Pilots arrested Malta
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2003, 22:26
meddoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some info

I have been alerted to this forum by a news item that appeared on the local papers today.

I have looked over some of the postings and I can say that some of them clearly show the lack of knowledge about Malta.

Chapter 217 of the Maltese laws clearly speaqks about work permit. Any foreign person that seeks to work in Malts needs a wroking permit. When his employer applies for this working permit, the permit is sent to the employee and not to the employer. Thus the employee knows if he has a permit or not. Permits in Malta usually take from 6 weeks to 12 weeks to be approved or not.

Thus it is the resposnibility of the employee to know if he has a permit or not, otherwise he is accomplice. So those that were involved should stop acting as victims, they knew that they were working without a permit.

Persons that are caught without a work permit are usually deported after being arraigned in court (usually within a couple of days)

On the other hand, the employer is arraigned in court and accused of employing people without a workpermit.

Though yes we do have our own number of criminals, this is not in anyway higher than anywhere else and scam companies exist (I personally can mention at least 1 Australian, 1 American and 1 British company that crossed my path).

As a matter of information all the information on Maltese laws can be found on http://www.justice.gov.mt/legalservices.asp and the list of expatriates (updated on a montly basis) can be found on: http://www.doi.gov.mt/EN/workpermits...nthslast3.asp.

Anyone wanting to invest in Malta or work in Malta should visit the website www.investinmalta.com for the proper information. relying on hearsay or as thename of this forum implies, rumours, is just making a fool of himself!!!