PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Degree, Diploma or Flight School?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 19:38
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd agree - you've not given us enough information to provide truely helpful advice.

What are your aspirations in aviation?

I know many pilots for whom the fourth option was all they needed as they wanted nothing more than to spend their career flying Twin Otters out of Yellowknife. A business degree doesn't really help you roll oil drums up and down the ramp, but another years' experience is worth its weight in gold; especially if you sit next to someone with a lifetimes experience flying that way.

I know other pilots who went the diploma route because that's what Air Canada wants/needs to see and that's what they want from their career. This way, they build a network of connections which helped them climb the career ladder. And while things are very positive for pilots right now where the ladder is akin to a kitchen step (school to airline), all it takes is for Osama's son or Herr Trump to ruin it for everyone. All it takes is one bad day as they say.

Or, there is someone like me who has found job satisfaction in the office equal to his job satisfaction flying the line, so working on a degree has been beneficial. This is not necessarily something you have to do right away, but I find the deeper into my degree program I get, the more I wished I had done it twenty years ago.

Ultimately, either of the four options will get you to the same place, so it does come down to what else you might want to do for upwards of a 40-year career.