PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 12:58
Nugget90

Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts
Although I retired as a Flight Operations Inspector in 2001, I doubt that I could really be considered qualified today to comment on the current activities undertaken by the UK CAA with regard to managing safety oversight, for much has changed in the interim. However, we should bear in mind that a presumption exists, and is reflected in national legislation relating to aviation, that all who may be involved in this activity, in whatever capacity, amateur or professional, will wish to perform their duties or activities such that aircraft will fly safely.

Hence, legislation pertaining to non-commercial air transport activities is relatively light on limitations whereas those relating to commercial air transport include additional requirements designed to reduce hazards and mitigate risk when the public hire or offer/provide 'reward' (ie pay for) services on offer. Therefore, it is the responsibility of individuals as well as service providers to ensure that they understand whatever requirements apply to their activities and adhere to them.

It may be worth remembering that laws in the UK are made by parliament whilst the CAA helps to frame such laws as may need updating or introducing acting as advisers to the government. Based upon experience, some laws prescribe requirements that will enhance safety margins whilst others proscribe actions such as are considered likely to increase risk. Although the Authority will investigate where it becomes aware that laws would appear to have been broken, this is by no means its main activity. Rather, this is to advise and assist those who seek to fly themselves as well as those who provide services to the public so as to ensure that, in the case of the latter, through audits and inspections the relevant standards are being upheld to the extent that licences, approvals, certificates, etc may be granted/issued and renewed. Where regulations are found to have been transgressed, the Authority is more likely to take administrative action (eg licence suspension) rather than seek the applications of sanctions through the courts.

Although the methods applied today by those who are employed by the UK CAA may differ in format from those that were applied during the 20 years I spent in the Flight Operations Department, I doubt that the overall purpose has changed very much. It still behoves everyone involved in aviation to know what the requirements affecting their part of the operation are and to do their best to ensure that safety remains their top priority - and this applies across the board to baggage handlers, air traffic control staff, simulator instructors, aircraft design and maintenance engineers, managers, medical examiners, cabin crew, flight crew, surveyors, etc etc. As a former flight safety bulletin some 50 years ago published by Wg Cdr Spry in "Air Clues" had it, "Flight safety is your business" - with the emphasis on 'your'!