PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loganair-2
Thread: Loganair-2
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 10:10
Rob Royston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EGPO
Thank you, very interesting , is that even safe to have an aircraft land minus reversers .
I'm no pilot but what of the Scenario, especially on Lewis with a wetter climate.
Plus as id said , I'm pretty sure it was mentioned about Sumburgh ( I'm assuming a 190/5 could get in there , as I was under the impression like many aircraft designs there is ac' short field package ' not to mention , Vagar was taking 737's before the extended runway. ( YouTube video for proof somewhere).

Anyway back to topic no reversers and what if the runway was soaked and high winds.
Surley just brakes alone would potentially cause a skid? Unless it's grooved and I can't see it being grooved at Stornoway as I think ( would have to check , but pretty sure it's as long if not longer than the likes of HUY, which takes 757's. Indeed years back a German 747 had to land there in an emergency .

But even so to disable a major safety system does not sound right.
When the Loganair CEO visited Shetland last year he told them that the ERJ's could not operate from Sumburgh and they would be getting ATR's to replace the Saab's. It looks like the runways are too short, I think especially for take off's. There are no leading edge slats on the wings.
SYY used to be 7595ft on 18-36 but this seems to have been shortened to around 7200ft. I remember reading about the large aircraft doing the emergency landing. I don't think it was a 747 but they had to get the passengers off with the ambulift. It may have been a 767, https://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-1796.html