PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Island Airways - 'Charter Airlines'
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 09:54
Gordomac

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
I was a Traffic Officer (Ship's Papers) at LGW for BUA in 1967. I remember churning out load-sheets for BUCIA (British United Channel Island Airways) Heralds. I even flew as pax from LGW to Jersey on the same.Dream was to become a BUA Cadet Pilot and go straight from AST Perth to LGW based BUCIA Heralds. Horrified to discover that cadet graduates wound up on Moreton DC3 ,Doves, whatever the four engined Dove was called - ( Oh yeah, Heron's) or Carvairs at Southend. All very hazy now, but pursuing flying career I pit-stopped with Moretons as a DO, then BUIA (they dropped the Channel bit). Pit stopped again but returned to what had now become BIA. Point is, BUCIA, BUIA, Moretons, & BIA all seemed the same to me & I even worked out of the same ghastly office at LGW under the same banners! As a BIA Duty Officer, the ghastly Office was opposite the BUA Cabin crew report office which provided for much pleasantries in my ground ops career. BIA at that stage still had the Moreton's Daks(three, I think) and Heralds based at LGW and Blackpool. Apart from glory days indeed, quite formative too.