PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - reverse before touch down
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2019, 06:40
sonicbum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fdr
I second the, Ummm... what????

Where is that written in ANY Boeing, Airbus, Embraer FCTM or OM????

A disproportionate number of pod scrapes were caused by the stupidity of crew placing their hands on the TR levers and lifting one immediately on touchdown, where a bounce or skip resulted. Make no mistake, if I am a passenger in an aircraft and see a TR deploy on any Jet airborne, the regulator will get all the information that I can put together. As a training point, IN THE SIMULATOR, if someone puts their hands on the TR's in the flare, I called GA. If they did it in an aircraft while I was doing standards, they got another evaluation ride. If you do it on any of my jets, I will get your hands off the levers. It is unconscionable to risk the aircraft just because the pilot doesn't know where to put his damned hands. If you need to recklessly endanger yourself by landing on a runway that is so short that you are compelled to do a non standard procedure, then you have already made a bad decision. No OEM recommends immediate TR on touchdown, before the aircraft is fully ground bound. Forgetting the spoilers will get you into serious problems in this event.

WTF!

Back in the military we used to pull reverse in the air, work fine if it is symmetrical and everything else works correctly. Any error and people die. People did die doing that.

FYI, the cause was slightly different, but this is the sort of outcome that lies in wait of having one engine in full thrust (for a dart that is a relative term) and one that is not, at low speed. If you think it is fine to grab early reverse, just tell the passengers what your VMCair or VMCground is for having one engine in reverse (even at idle) and the other at GA thrust.

excellent post.