PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA flight training regulations
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2019, 18:42
Marekjefrajer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA flight training regulations

Hello everyone. I need a bit of a help with FAA regulations. I am an airline pilot under EASA but I am looking for some information concerning pilot training under FAA.

As far as I am concerned, there are either FAA-approved flight schools or certificated flight instructors. My question being, what are the documents regulating flight schools and certificated flight instructors (like Title 14: Aeronautics and Space, Part 61)?

Are these the only two means of obtaining flight training? Can certificated flight instructor offer flight instructions to anyone, while not being employed by any approved flight school? Does he need to have any approved manuals? Is there anything like not-certificated flight instructor as well?

If a certificated flight instructor is allowed to provide flight instructions outside of a flight school, can he provide flight training for all types of licenses, or for example only up to private pilot license, and, if a pilot wants to obtain a higher license (instrument rating, commercial pilot license, etc.), does he have to receive this training in an approved flight school? Does a certificated flight instructor have to have his own aircraft, or can he provide flight training on his client‘s aircraft?

To be more specific with my question, for example §61.109 Aeronautical experience says, that „(a)…a person who applies for a private pilot certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating must log at least 40 hours of flight time that includes at least 20 hours of flight training from an authorized instructor and 10 hours of solo flight training…

Is the term authorized instructor equal to certificated flight instructor? Does an applicant have to fly those 20 hours with an instructor within an approved flight school or can it be with any certificated flight instructor, who might not be employed by any flight school? Last but not least, 40 hours total minus 20 with instructor minus 10 hours of solo flight training results in remaining 10 hours required for private pilot license. Is there any other regulation concerning these 10 hours?

If there is someone who can explain me the basic rules of FAA regulations, I would appreciate it very much!

Thanks in advance, Marek