PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Highest TTIS Airframe
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2019, 09:09
FL235

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: GA airframe hours

No way to find an accurate number, but the C170 that was KEN in PNG would be a contender in GA
Imported by Laurie Crowley when the C170A was a new model, it was overworked for a long time, the logs being conveniently "lost" as required.
A supposed methpd of estimating hours was to count the number of time-expired engines scattered around PNG. At that time dropping an expired engine in the dirt & fitting a new or overhauled one to put the A/C back to work made economic sense.
My first taste of it was in Goroka about 1970, by which time it had been in private ownership for some time. Graham Syphers had agreed to ferry it to Lae and we did a couple of circuits to check it out. Not very impressive on a hot day in Goroka.
I flew it quite a bit from Lae, skydivers, weekends away, and trips tthe new owner wasn't conffident about. It was definittely a bit "war weary" then.
Subsequent use, and abuse, included a collapsed U/C on a steep strip, but it was repaired.
Last heard of undergoing a rebuild at Caboolture. I wonder what total time will be shown in the lgbooks when it is re-registered? or has it made it back into the air again?