PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAW492 diversion at Gibraltar
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2019, 07:54
Fursty Ferret

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Co Pilot handling the approach-BA SOP. At some point a double R Alt. fault/indication occurred which put the aircraft into Direct Law. (aircraft handles like a normal non FBW plane)
The co-pilot flew the Wind Sheer Go-around.
I've flown a windshear escape maneuver in the sim when an unpredicted side-effect of a new lesson plan managed to simulate a dual rad-alt failure and a windshear encounter simultaneously. It's not a scenario I'd wish on anyone, especially as the failure occurred literally as I pushed the thrust levers forward. The startle effect; the totally unexpected aircraft response of a violent and uncontrollable pitch-up (prompt nose down trim is the only way to fix this, and you have to do this while you're sitting in approach to stall), loss of roll stability, and the escape from the windshear frightened me absolutely rigid. It's easy to tell yourself it's a simulator after the event, but the reality is that your brain doesn't process it that way.

We "survived", but I'm in a cold sweat writing about it six years later. If it genuinely was the fault suggested above, then my humble opinion is that it was very well flown given the circumstances.