PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2019, 06:26
C441

Received 115 Likes on 46 Posts
There are a few documents relating to Fatigue including a very generalised 'Commuting Guidelines' document but it adds little to what has been discussed in the last few days here and elsewhere. It essentially provides you with some thoughts that you need to consider and how to best ensure you're fit after commuting to your base for a duty:
Some of the many considerations include:
Where and when am I going to get some sleep?
Do I need to commute to my base the night before, even if it's just for a standby?
Do I have a backup plan if my commuting flight is cancelled, delayed or is suddenly full due to disruptions,
Should I look for a commuter pad with some other pilots or do I have others I can stay with?…..

Qantas do not formally restrict any commuting at your own expense and most commuters are fairly conservative in their approach.
Have I ever missed a duty in 29 years of commuting? No, but I've come close a couple of times when the 'proverbial has hit the fan', but that can happen driving to work too. Qantas are not unreasonable if you've made every reasonable effort to get to work no matter where you are coming from.

Commuting's doable to and from just about anywhere but you need to plan ahead.