PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Remote towers
Thread: Remote towers
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2019, 17:27
AyrTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obviously it is the old cynical ATCO’s who have a problem with remote towers. No matter what anyone says it is all about a perceived cost saving. I presume when HIAL centralise the towers at Inverness they are planning to reduce staff because one ATCO can now do several airports ( just like having several enroute validations ).
Although the H&I airports are not busy ( I worked at one for three years ) they may get their traffic rush at the same time.

Say for instance you are a valid on a “ Western Isles” grouping i.e EGPO and EGPL. Before I retired PO use to get an inbound rush of three a/c and usually at least one departure ( remember this is combined ADI and APC ). PL would also put a departure on request. Does the ATCO on duty decide to ignore PL and concentrate on PO or vice versa. This could cause delays however it will be safe, it will just be a reduced customer service which could be overcome by having a PL valid and a PO valid ATCO on at the same time so what is the overall gain in having Remote towers.

I feel some people have been blinded by the potential of modern technology and think if it’s old it’s bad.

Today I went to the bank to pay in a paper cheque and had to use one of the new automatic check pay in machines. I of course made a mess of it so luckily a bank clerk who stands by the machine all day came over and helped. Would that clerk not be better employed behind a counter.

I then went to a large high street shopping chain and tried to use my digital “Sporks” card which is on my iPhone ( getting down with the kids ). I have yet to see this card work by scanning, the readers don’t accept it, at one point the shop assisistant asked if I had the actual hard copy of the card! Get a grip

The above examples show two new modern systems which may look ok on paper, however the customer experience is not enhanced one iota!

Some people will say that on a remote tower you can attach labels to the aircraft to help retain idents etc. Well to be honest if you work at a tower and you can’t remember the traffic order from the FPS perhaps you shold not be working there.

Several years ago HIAL went down the let’s recruit locally road. There is a video somewhere on the net where a locally recruited islander is waxing lyrical about having a very good job and also able to live on the island of his birth. I bet he is p*ssed off now! Maybe that’s one of the reasons HIAL ATCO’s are holding a ballot for strike action.

A lot of the ATC community will probably be thinking its only Highlands and Islands.

Don’t knock it ‘till you’ve tried it!

Rant over time for wine.

Rgds
AyrTC

Last edited by AyrTC; 27th Feb 2019 at 17:41.