PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Useless Aviation Degrees
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2003, 16:23
bateman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Useless Aviation Degrees

I firmly believe that aviation degrees are virtually useless to those who aspire to be pilots.

Firstly, if you are going to do a degree, do something which is recognised outside aviation. For example, business, economics, law etc. At least this way you will be able to get another job if aviation doesnt work out as planned.

Secondly, after 3 years you will come out with 200 hours, a degree which is not accepted outside aviation, and a huge HECS debt. Better to spend the HECS on an instructors rating/type rating. And use the 3 other years getting hours.

Thirdly, I believe that nobody who employs pilots in aviation is going to be impressed by an aviation degree over flight experience. And if they are impressed by a degree, then see point 1.

Lastly, if you really want a degree. Wait till you get an airline job, and then study something worthwhile part-time.

Im a big fan of degrees. I started an aviation degree, and soon realised it was irrelevant and worthless. I did the flight training as quickly as possible, got a job, and have now completed a Bachelor of Business. I firmly believe this is a much better way to to things.

I would like to hear contrary opinions, expecially from those who are involved with these degrees, and those who hire pilots.

cheers