PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Remote towers
Thread: Remote towers
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2019, 12:46
escaped.atco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gonzo

Not sure it’s quite that clear-cut.

Perhaps there’s a big dial on the wall at the airport, with various increments, as to where the airport sends all the data to the remote tower; the big dial points towards ACME ANSP Remote Tower Centre right now, but hey ho, the current incumbent has lost the contract because they didn’t reduce their price out of complacency, thinking they had a lock-in......come the switchover day, that ‘gullible’ airport manager reaches over from his desk, and with a smile on his face he turns the dial to Foreign ANSP Remote Tower Centre, who bid lower, and have spent the time since the announcement training up their own controllers, and everything just carries on. Just cheaper. The airport manager smiles as he looks at how many Remote Tower Centres are inscribed on his dial, and they’re increasing in number all the time.

The airport manager leans leans back and smiles while thinking of the next contract renewal............

And I'm not sure its as clear cut as that either. The glaring issue is going to be the actual controllers again, I know they are an inconvenience and and expensive nuisance BUT at this stage of the game they're still needed. Lets say ACME have the contract, they're in a portacabin far far away from the airport to the north for example. The airport decide to change to NITS Solutions but their portacabin is also far far away to the south for example. The controllers working for ACME realise that NITS Solutions are a bunch of cowboys that they don't want to work for, how then is NITS Solutions going to satisfy the problem of having actual people to run the show? They may well have all the toys, they may well have the means of ensuring data links are secure and all the cost that goes with that but with no controllers they don't really have a runner. As much as the regulator role has diluted and become a rubber stamping exercise depending on the paperwork that has been produced, I really can't imagine a scenario where they would think 20+ green field validations is safe. Plus I can't imagine any airport being keen on the media getting wind that they've employee a brand new ANSP with sweet FA experience other than sims all to save a few quid. The other point, and I apologise now for bringing it up, is brexit. How will remote towers play out if they are in vastly different jurisdictions. Can you imagine Jose in Madrid getting a green field validation in Cardiff having never worked there or experienced the airport in his life?

I know times are getting desperate but surely sanity and common sense has to still be considered. Or maybe someone has done an APSA and decided that neither of the aforementioned have any part to play when it comes to profits and cost cutting. I really am old and cynical, must go and take my meds!