PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff City Footballer Feared Missing after aircraft disappeared near Channel Island
Old 26th Feb 2019, 16:17
Geriaviator

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts
What about life insurance?

These illegal charters are hard to detect and stop, so should there be an education campaign by CAA and perhaps the insurance companies? From reading Wingly posts it appears that most people think this is a brilliant facility and have no idea of the financial risk they are running as well as obvious risks from pilot incompetence such as the sad example being discussed.

When I began flying 55 years ago I had a mortgage secured against an endowment insurance policy which would pay off the mortgage on maturity. That policy excluded any form of flying except as a passenger on a commercial flight by a multi-engined aircraft. Sun Life refused to vary this so I had to arrange a new policy at considerable expense, with a 10% premium loading to cover my PPL activities. A similar loading was imposed 20 years later when my business partner and I took out a policy to cover the death of each other.

Today one of the big insurance companies imposes a £12 per month per £100,000 cover loading on PPLs' life insurance policies. It follows that this company recognises the greater risks involved. I would like to know if other companies also restrict their life cover to commercial flights. Since most if not all mortgage companies insist on their customers having life insurance to clear the mortgage in the event of their deaths, maybe people should be aware of the financial consequences if they are aboard the next 'cost-sharing' charter that goes down?