PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aeromexico Crash
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2019, 13:29
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
ICAO does not, and cannot, mandate that accident investigation reports should be published in any particular language, regardless of what Anglocentric readers might think. Spanish is, after all, one of the six official UN/ICAO working languages.
Indeed, and Chinese, Arabic or Russian would be a lot harder (for us english speakers) to work with.

The fact that it's a scanned document and not a native PDF is, I assume, for legal reasons given that every page is countersigned by 5 individual members of the board of investigation.
That does not prevent them including a text layer in the PDF to make it searchable and accessible (the latter is also a legal requirement in many places, although frequently overlooked). Even if you start from the printed page and scan, a decent scanning a publishing workflow will put an OCRed text layer in. Cheap/poor scanning and/or conversion - odd number pages are all skewed, even are marked down the middle, may have been originally printed double-sided and scanned with a poor auto-feeder - it hasn't been done manually page-by-page, the faults are too consistent. Also it's either a poor quality scan or maybe a poor jpeg conversion, lots of artifacts which will make it harder for OCR - suspect someone just ticked a "smallest size, lowest quality" option somewhere.

Nevertheless, it can be OCRed and then auto-translated with not too much effort. The probable cause and contributing factors took me <30secs. Professional OCR tools (which I no longer have) with spanish language input would do a better job, but then so would a spanish speaker with Mk1 eyeball...

For those interested, my basic OCR and google-translate of probable cause and contributing factors (no manual corrections):

Probable cause

IMPACT AGAINST THE TRACK ORIGINATED BY THE LOSS OF CONTROL OF THE AIRCRAFT IN THE FINAL PHASE OF THE WINDSHEAP Abandonment CAREER LOW HEIGHT AT PRODUCIPSE A LOSS OF SPEED V SUSTAINABILITY

CONTRIBUTING FACTORS:
Crew
a) Reduction of the situational awareness of the crew of flight SL12431 when performing the
commanding unauthorized instructional tasks without being qualified to provide
flight instruction and assign co-pilot and pilot functions f, I thnk that lying from the aircraft to a pilot
Not certified or authorized.
b) Omission in detecting the variations of iridication that the airspeed indicator showed in the PFD21
during the takeoff race
c) Lack of adherence to sterile cabin procedures and operational procedures (TVC:
Changes of runway and / or its conditions to take off after closing doors; Take off in
adverse conditions windshear) established in the Flight Operations Manual, in the Manual
of Dispatch and in the Standard Operating Procedures, of Aerolitoral, S. A. de C. V.

If you read past the OCR errors + google-translate-isms, I think that is pretty much as expected.