PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAW492 diversion at Gibraltar
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2019, 12:10
MaydayMaydayMayday

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chillpill
There are 2 'types' of Airbus pilots.

1. Those taught directly by Airbus.

2: Those taught 'in-house' by the Airline.

An old and wise first gen Airbus A320 Captain once told me you can always tell the difference between 1 and 2 as above by watching A320's on approach on a gusty cross-wind day...

The Airbus taught pilots ... the A320 rolls slowly (max 33 degrees AOB), stops, regains wings level slowly but does not overshoot wings level.

The 'in-house' pilots... the A320 rolls slowly (max 33 degrees AOB), stops, then rolls the other way invariably over-shooting wings level... then back the other way. A PIO.

Te difference is the Airbus taught pilots are taught to truly understand the theory AND practice of the 'zero roll rate/1G flight' regime in 'Normal Law'... and that the aircraft will strive to maintain that without any pilot input. By contrast, many 'in-house' pilots, (no blame, just a systemic fact), often with a 'classic' Boeing background, chase the roll deviation with a 'traditional opposite' control input, even though the aircraft is already doing that. But they are in fact 'lagging' that aircraft input... and by the time they sense the side-stick against the roll 'stop', the aircraft is already going the other way... so they chase that... to a developing PIO.

The solution... simply 'let go' of the side stick and let the aircraft flight control software system look after things. It's hard to do (learn (un-learn) pre FBW software), but when you do, flying the A320 series is a hell of a lot simpler... and less likely to result in vids like this.

I am however not saying there was no a FC degrade going on here as a result of a systems failure, but this certainly looks like classic PIO to me.
Quite a big assumption that it was being manually flown at the time.