PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My beautiful Weber!
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2019, 21:40
cavuman1

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Hail and Well Met, Sir tdracer and other smoked meat aficionados!

My bride and I have exactly that same smoking apparatus and are pretty happy with it. We do eight to nine pound bone-in pork shoulders and four to five pound beef briskets for ~ 8 hours at 220-225 F. We rub the meat liberally with a top secret preparation and let it rest in the 'fridge for a day or two before throwing it into the smoker. I add hickory, apple, and/or cherry wood every hour and spray the roast with apple cider during the same interval. The result is delicious and pull-apart tender, but I am unable to obtain a nice darkened bark. Having given up cigarette smoking several years ago (and breathing cannulated oxygen 24/7 thanks to "Big Tobacco" and my own idiocy!), I need another proven carcinogen with which to flaunt the fates. "Outside" pork seems just the ticket! Are you able to suggest a methodology by which I can attain it? Perhaps the last hour of the smoke should be done at a significantly higher temperature? Any suggestions are appreciated, and do say hello to Mr. Gates for me....

- Ed